Wednesday, December 27, 2006

My year in review

was reading one of those year in review articles on a news website when it suddenly struck me how much my life had changed in one year. Every year always brings in changes both expected and unexpected, but I have rarely ever given much thought to any of these. I have always been a firm believer in the adage 'life goes on' and never ever stopped to reminisce about the things that happened to me in the year.

However it really amused me to see how much I have changed over the past one year. I can remember exactly what my priorities were, things that I looked forward to, things I never gave much thought to, things that made me happy, sad, excited etc and how it has changed so quickly. Although my likes/dislikes etc have not changed all that much, what I would prefer to do has changed a lot!

For example last year around this time, things I really looked forward to doing (by order of preference) were:
1. playing tennis
.
.
.
2. eating good food or finding a new favorite restaurant/food item/cricket/hanging out with friends
3. hanging out with my sister (when she's around)
4. finding a date
5. Reading up on current affairs/browsing the net
6. working out/playing some random sport/watching movies
7. reading up on trivia
8. cooking
9. talking to my family on the phone
10. talking to friends on the phone

And now they go something like this:

1. Talking to/being with/daydreaming abt my fiancee
.
.
.
2. Talking to my family and hanging out with my sister (when she's around)
.
3. Finding new ways to save money so I can spend it later when she's around
4. playing tennis
5. working out/playing some random sport/watching movies
6. reading up on current affairs/browsing the net
7. cooking

As you can see my list has been dominated by one person. It is a little weird for me to notice how much one person has changed my perspectives and priorities in life in such a short period of time.... esp given the number of people I have met in my life.

The most amusing change everyone notices (and really tease me a lot about) though is to note how I've changed from being someone who hated talking on the telephone and rarely had much to say for more than 5 mins at a time can now talk for hours and hours about pretty much nothing to just one person. I think I must have spent more money on calling cards these past two months than I must have ever spent on my family/friends/dates/gfs... pretty much anyone in my entire life put together.

My friends I hardly bother about anymore. I do keep in touch but they hardly feature as much in my life as they used to. I feel sad sometimes that I'm drifting away as are they from me thanks to developments in their lives. But for some reason I rarely do much more than the bare minimum to do keep in touch.

I suppose life keeps changing as your grow older and you tend to have new experiences along the way every day, but there are some years that you feel that you've changed more than in others. This has been one such year for me.

3 comments:

cure for ennui said...

There are turning points in everybody's life. your's happened to be swats this yr, quiet unexpected i say! telephone and you used to be like the poles of a magnet, i guess the rules of physics has an exception in the form of brat! there used to be a time when i used to have to prod him to talk more than two sentences now i have to go all out to make the two ends of his mouth close :) oh! jus kiddin...i like this change in you bro...and nah the boy seeing thing has become a staus quo...no results.

Cloudy said...

Awwwwwww.... juvenile no more! That's how you've changed ;-) Hehehehehehehehehehehehehe

Sorry, can't help teasing you *giggle giggle* hehehehehehehehe

Sorry! I loved that post, I really did :-)

Bharath Hemachandran said...

:)

Join the ever growing club veena. I don't mind it one bit ... at least when it's about swathy.