Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Most of the colleagues in my office have either left or have been transferred elsewhere. It feels like you are starting all over again at a new place. It is a stark reminder that things are never really the same, always. Change in inevitable.

Every time I pass the place where they used to sit, a feeling of loneliness engulfs me. Miss the common faces. One would feel the same way in an alien nation. You may not know people around you. You may not talk to them. You may have seen people once, somewhere, sometime, but they are familiar. I guess it gives a feeling of belonging, a feeling of security that is often taken for granted. I kind of agree with the belief that you miss the loved one the most when they are not around you anymore. Once you realize that, you ponder over the many things you would have done that could have brought a tear or a smile.

Until recently, I stubbornly holding on to, ‘why now?’ and I realized how silly & positively negative I’ve been. It is like trying to shield yourself, from air. It surrounds you anyway. It is one of the many things you can’t do without, just like change.

I’ve become absolutely bored with everything around me. I need some spice. Wish one was paid to go globe trotting. If only all wishes were true. Most avid travelers say that a whole lifespan is never really enough to satiate the hunger to see more.

My friend, Sanjana has written a book of poems called ‘ As The Candle Flickered In The Dark ‘. I could read only one poem from the book., titled ‘My Muse’. My favorite lines from it were

‘She is the reason I write
My adrenalin in a fight,
The conscience of what is wrong or what is right,
My burning lamp in the night,
The path from darkness to light,
My muse – my soul’s delight’

I’m really glad her poems have been published. Eager to read every one of the poems in the book. Bravo! Sanjana…cheers to life! Cheers to you!

2 comments:

Bharath Hemachandran said...

Yeah well change always seems weird when you are the one left behind or the only one left. Still it's good in a way as it prompts you to be pro-active to find new friends etc.

Good job by your friend to get her poems published! Not much of a prose fan... but well still an accomplishment to get your first writing published.

cure for ennui said...

yup..no mean feat, getting a book published.