Thursday, November 30, 2006

And so it begins

I have exactly 62 days before I head to India again. I have an impressive number of things to get done before then, but all that I feel is going to play second fiddle to the most important of all.
My 60 day exercise routine.

Now I have always been in decent shape and have no trouble running ~ 4-5 miles, but I've had one big problem... I've always been a little on the chubby side. But all that ends here and now. I figured out a nifty exercise routine and am going to follow it even though it scares the heck out of me! :(

The scary part is the diet I am supposed to follow during that time. Oh well I suppose it will be worth it if I can get those pacs in the abs and be less chubby. So anyways... Here's a before pic of me that I took recently prior to the workout. I will be weighing myself everyday and recording my body fat % etc in a log that I will publish at the end of the 60 days.

For those of you interested here is what my routine is going to be like. It's a 6 day routine where I will be concentrating on one set of muscle groups every alternate day. Since tennis season only starts in Feb again, I can really start pushing myself.

Day 1 - Chest
5 mins light running
4 sets Bench
4 sets Incline
4 sets Decline
4 sets Flys

Day 2 - Shoulder + ab workout 1
5 mins light running
4 sets seated shoulder press
4 sets front raise and reverse flyes
4 sets shrugs/low pulley raise

5 sets of 20 reps on the ab machine
3 sets of crunches (25 reps ea)/hanging leg raises(10 ea - hope to reach 20 by the end of 60 days)
4/5 sets of back extensions

Day 3 - Cardio + ab workout 2
35 mins running/elliptical
5-10 min seated rowing

5 sets of 20 reps on the ab machine
3 sets of crunches

5 mins of cool down running

Day 4 - Back + biceps
5 mins of rowing
4 sets of Lat pull downs
4 sets of pullovers
4 sets of resistance seated row

3 sets of arm curls
3 sets of triceps/biceps curls

5 sets of back extensions

Day 5 - Cardio
I should have tennis practice/ultimate frisbee or some other sport to keep me occupied for one day. Also brings some variation into my routine

Day 6 - Cardio + ab workout 3
10 mins of running
15 mins elliptical

5 sets of 20 reps on the ab machine
3 sets of crunches (25 reps ea)/hanging leg raises(10 ea - hope to reach 20 by the end of 60 days)
4/5 sets of back extensions

Day 7 - Rest

The routine above is going to need some discipline to follow, but I've done 2 days now and I suppose I've got enough motivation to complete the rest.

The scary part is going to be the diet :(. No more goodies. I suppose I've snacked enough. But anyways my diet is going to have to be more day centric. I need to eat a big breakfast, smallish lunch and just have something very light yet filling for dinner.

I hope I can get past the initial inertia. If I do then I should be all good. The first month is going to be hell though. Oh well!

7 comments:

Revealed said...

First. All for a good cause. Bite the bullet. Think about the million women who starve themselves to death to fit into some image of the perfect female that men have decided is the right one, and thank your lucky stars you're not a girl.

Cloudy said...

Wow. I have no idea what half the words in this post mean!!!! But, worry not, I get the gist. My idea of exercise is confined to jogging a bit while watching TV, and that too ONLY if I've binged shamelessly all week.

Good luck to you :-)

Where's the before pic?

Cloudy said...

Oh! Claiming first :D

Bharath Hemachandran said...

@svasti - Yea rite .. and what about the preconceived notions that most girls have about how guys should look?

It's a two way street u know.

@veena - :) I know what u mean. unfortunately having my genes means that you have to learn all this vocab quickly to not balloon out of shape.

Anonymous said...

so i take it that you've lost faith in the power of Slimfast(TM) to mould your body to the appropriate shape then?

Bharath Hemachandran said...

:)

That was for my roommate and seeing how he was yea i don't have any faith in the power of slimfast(tm)

lol

Revealed said...

Scuse me Cloudy, But I BELIEVE I claimed first first [-(
@BH: ok ok (but I still blv the girls have it worse than the guys *sigh * )