Thursday, September 14, 2006

Ramblings

Today was in essence a bad day. It started out with a flat tire, India losing like wimps to the Windies in cricket, a really boring day at the office where I couldn't seem to get anything done, and of course no time for a workout.

I always feel a little cranky when I don't manage to sweat a bit. An unfortunate side-effect results in my being too hyperactive to do anything worthwhile.

Although I cannot wait to get to India... wait I will have to. Oh how I wish we had those teleporters that could get us from one corner of the globe to another in the blink of an eye! I shouldn't be complaining too much I suppose. This trip is not going to be as bad as some of my other trips back home.

I only have 2 stopovers to make; neither longer than 4 hrs each. Although the wait between flights will be a little on the boring side, I have some opportunities to do something more than visit all the restrooms and shops in each terminal.

I found this awesome site called airportgyms.com which lists all the gyms around the airports that I can go to before my next flight. Since my layover at Dallas is going to be a little on the longer side, I figured I could just as well do something healthy and spend a few dollars to workout a little.

After all I have to be cramped up on the plane for long enough... so why not tire myself out completely and ensure that I get some shut eye on the next couple of flights. Unfortunately none of the movies that American Airlines is going to air during my 15 hr flight to Delhi seem to be any good. And with my luck in travelling companions, I'll either be sitting next to a lady with a crying baby, or an old person looking to get drunk on the complimentary alcoholic beverages.

The good thing is that I have a work laptop this time around, so I will be able to download some e-books onto my computer for my reading pleasure. Unfortunately I'm sure my eyes will go on strike if I read too much. So workout it is.

I have a few hours left before I actually catch my flight... so any hints on what I can do during the long flights?

12 comments:

Pratik said...

How about not thinking about it too much and taking it as it comes? I'm sure spontaneity can't be so bad ...

Pratik said...

Thanks for all those greetings (I don't know how many you had on that scrapbook) - same to you for the same greetings :P !! Enjoy your trip in India - chill out!

Bharath Hemachandran said...

Yaar ... I'm an airport veteran. I've pretty much done everything there is to do in an airport.... well pretty much everything that can be done without getting into unmentionables territory.

So I'm looking for some suggestions here.

Anonymous said...

Take one of those really useful beanbag neck pillows so u can actually try getting a little sleep - I could've done with it! And take movies on CDs (movies and songs) to play on ur laptop, u know how boring in-flight music is... :D Don't worry, maybe u'll luck out and sit next to a really intelligent and ravishing girl this time ;)

Bharath Hemachandran said...

Amen to that!

radiantbear said...

Its been three years, since I went back home. India.

Oh Im sure you'll find something worthwhile, and I never knew they had airportgyms, man that could be or real use.

teleporters?? man..

Bon Voyage,

NY?

Sumithra said...

Hmm... like anon said, now that you have a laptop, you can take a few CDs with you. And good luck for sitting next to 'an intelligent and ravishing girl'! :)

Sumithra said...

And abt the 'Kid in me' post, that's what we've been trying to tell you for a long time :D - that you are a kiddo. Right, Cloudy and Revealed?

Cloudy said...

Here's a good way to pass the time at airports. Have you heard of the "paper video game?" Visit TheInventorOfGames for details ;-)

Anonymous said...

Wow..you are sooooooo lucky!..and the air-time will just fly (hehe no pun intended)..and if you DONT get to sit next to a ravishing person of the female sex ask someone who IS sitting next to a RPOTFS to exchange seats with u;);)..have fun..and if you're in madras, go to the beach!!! n Zara tapas bar (which is amazinggg or atlst used to be)..

Anonymous said...

Oh and cricket :(:(:(:(..atleast you get to see the india aussie match there (and you wont have to stay up all night unlike people out here!!! unless you're one of the unlucky ones who get jet-lagged?)..think we might have one if it wasnt the D/L. There was a chance though the windies were playing beautifully. Esp considering the first match!

Bharath Hemachandran said...

@ny? - dude that airportgyms thing is good ... only if the airport has a gym. Otherwise it's not worth. I burnt a huge hole in my pocket finding a gym outside in Dallas.

@ss - :p

@rams - you've got to pick up the slack when I'm not blogging :)

@veena - :p

@svasti - the cricket has been a major let down so far. I could hardly watch today's match!