Tuesday, September 05, 2006

I'm not a big fan of prose. In fact I hate prose.... those lying poets promising people the moon and stars when they damn well know it takes more than a space shuttle to even get close to one let alone drag the damn thing back. I mean what will their beloved do with stars anyways? It's not they can collect them or something.

On the same lines, I'm not a big fan of song lyrics. When I listen to a song, it's more about the tune than the actual song itself. Which probably why I can never really remember the words of a song when I try to sing along to them. I always sing the wrong words!

But occasionally there comes a song that I fall in love with. Not just the tune, but also the words. Words that enhance the actual the beauty of the song itself. Take the song Tere Bin from the movie Bas Ek Pal.

Gorgeous! I've been listening to it all day.



tere bin main yun kaise jiya
kaise jiya tere bin
tere bin main yun kaise jiya
kaise jiya tere bin
lekar yaad teri raaten meri kati - 2
mujhse baaten teri karti hai chaandani
tanha hai tujh bin raaten meri
din mere din ke jaise nahi
tanha badan tanha hai ruh nam meri aankhen rahe
aaja mere ab rubaru
jeena nahi bin tere
tere bin main yun kaise jiya
kaise jiya tere bin
tere bin main yun kaise jiya
kaise jiya tere bin

kabse aankhen meri raah mein tere bichhi - 2
bhule se hi kahi tu mil jaaye kabhi
bhule na mujhse baaten teri
bheegi hai har pal aankhen meri
kyun saans loon kyun main jiyu
jeena bura sa lage
kyun ho gaya tu bewafaaa mujhko bata de wajah
tere bin main yun kaise jiya
kaise jiya tere bin ...
tere bin main yun kaise jiya
kaise jiya tere bin ...

Why do songs evoke such feelings? When I listen to a song it's more than a medley of sounds and words. It is almost a religious experience. Not only do I hear the song, but somehow the entire moment seems to get imprinted into my mind forever.

I get so nostalgic when I listen to songs. When I hear the Alai Payuthey songs, I recollect all the things I did on my trip of 2000 to India. The crazy impersonations of Madhavan on a bike, or maybe the numerous bus rides I took to and from Airport road on my way to my internship at IBM. Or my visits to all the bholi stalls in Mambalam.

Others transport me back to road trips I took with friends. Those 14 hr odysseys to Austin, New Orleans, Key West, the Smoky Mountains. The songs seem to personify my memories in ways that can only be described as penseive-ish (think Harry Potter). A magical slideshow of bittersweet memories that often end in my smiling wistfully. And then.... I hit play again...

5 comments:

Sumithra said...

I was listening to one of the Alaipayuthey songs just before reading your blog and I was thinking of the same thing - Songs do something to us, I can't describe the exact feeling, but they do take us somewhere - and leave us with a wistful smile..

Bharath Hemachandran said...

@sunshine - can't stop listening to AP can you? :) I still love a couple of songs as much as I used to when I first heard it. Dunno what it is about the film that makes it so evergreen.

@rams - what are the other songs you're talking about?

Anonymous said...

@Sunshine: Love AP too. The entire time i was writing up my thesis i played and re-played the songs. N i STILL love em (that's saying a lot hehe).

Pratik said...

Dude, do you still listen to Meri zindagi mein aaye ho? :D I still won't forget you almost killed the song for me by playing the song repeatedly. Waise, I'm pretty sure there were other reasons, besides music itself, for liking that song at that time. ;)

Bharath Hemachandran said...

@jack - lol..

No I don't listen to it as much anymore :)

Still like it though.