Friday, April 06, 2007

For the love of the game

I really love the game of cricket. Ever since I was a little kid one of my life's ambitions was to be a cricketer. I remember spurning a budding singing career and then later in life ruining what may have been the start of an excellent tennis career for cricket. And it wasn't even for proper organized cricket.

I just used to love playing the game with my neighbourhood buddies. We played with one single bat, makeshift stumps and tennis balls poached from people's houses, or from my tennis coaching academy. At the time those two hours of fun was what I lived for. It was not that I was any good at the game. I was decent, but never destined to be able to choose it as my profession. However I was good at singing and tennis and if I had showed even a tenth of the interest that I seemed to show for the game of willow and ball, they may have actually evolved into a career choice.

However I didn't and I really regret my foolishness, but well I don't regret the fun I had playing the game. Maybe I don't love the game as much nowadays, but it still has a very special place in my heart.

I was an "Indian" cricket fan. I never thought twice about the fact that the "Indian" cricket team was actually a private enterprise belonging to the "BCCI" and not a national team. The players were actually hired as professionals by a private company, but then what difference did that make? According to me this team was "India's" team.

Until recently I had always assumed that I was always going to be a fan of the "Indian" cricket team, because I considered the Indian cricket team to be the representatives of our country in the sporting world.

Face it, we Indians are not known for our athletic prowess. Sure we've had the occasional Leander Paes, Bhupati, Prakash Padukone, etc. but I cannot remember any of our sports teams being competitive in a global game. I never followed Indian hockey till the 90s and never saw a point in following it since 94). So I followed the game religiously.

I was never really prone to worshipping the players, but I knew that I would love to be a Sachin Tendulkar or even a Robin Singh. To be given the honor of representing my country internationally and make the people back home proud to be an Indian. Above all I wanted to play the game because I loved playing it. I wish I were good enough to be able to play it as a professional, but alas not all of us are blessed enough to do something like that.

So when I see a group of players given the honor of being able to play and represent every Indian in an international arena, I always assumed that they would give it their best shot. It wasn't that they were just playing for the honor though. The financial benefits and other perks of playing for the team were quite substantial. Sure it was a high pressure job, but then who gets paid so much to do something that almost anyone could do?

However over the past two years, I have decided that being a fan of this team of impostors is not worth my time or effort. Playing for honor is not something the current team of prima donnas wants to do. No... it doesn't matter that they are really not as good as they believe, nor that they actually need to prove themselves in any way to remain in this team. They believe that everything that they have achieved during their glory days should be good enough to keep them in the team so they can continue to enjoy the benefits of being an "Indian" cricketer. Since they could not provide entertainment to the masses where they were supposed to, they feel they should do so in another medium with their whingings, and accusations.

When I see this team play I feel that they are not only insulting the game of cricket, but also every supporter of the team. What is the point in supporting a team and an enterprise (BCCI) that believes that their financial well-being and personal agendas come before the game itself?

I think I am better off remenescing about the wonderful times I have had playing this game. Sure my friends and I may not be international cricketers, but we played for the fun.... for the love of the game.

3 comments:

Balaji said...

Well...I got to agree...

may be I should hear you sing once to know whether that would have been a career choice or not... :)

Revealed said...

You said it! But yknow there's no point getting the mopes cos we suck. It isn't news to us, is it really? Suck it up, is all I can say :)

Anonymous said...

If they're not a national cricket team, I really don't see the point in supporting 'impostors' either (which incidentally is what they've become). What a waste of perfectly good energy that could be put to use elsewhere :P But then, I was never really a fan of Indian cricket in the first place :D So I agree wit you - Veens